My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why "Real Mom?"

I had a conversation yesterday that prompted my spontaneous decision to set up a blog.  What?!  I just declared in that same conversation that I didn't have time to even read a blog, and now I'm writing one.  (Yet another reminder to be careful of what I say.)


So, I'm involved in a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group and several of us were meeting for coffee.  We were discussing food, gardening, discipline, breastfeeding--some of the usual topics of this particular group--when I realized that what I was saying didn't reflect the reality of what I am living.  It wasn't that I was intentionally lying.  We were all simply discussing the great things we strive for as moms and wives, women and friends.  And I noticed that I was happily sharing my lofty goals but withholding how often I fall short of them.  Why?  Pride.

When I got home yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about the need to be real.  To be honest.  And the humility that is required to be so.  The enemy whispers, "Show them how good you are.  Don't let them know how you fail."  (Pride.)  Scriptures say, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment" (Rom 12:3).  (Humility.)

So, to my enemy's dismay, I am here to admit that I'm a living, walking, talking, breathing mess that is in great need of daily mercy and grace!  But lest you think I am discouraged, rest assured that I know this:  God knows I am dust (Ps 103:14) and STILL He takes great delight in me and rejoices over me with singing (Zeph 3:17)!  We who are His are holy and blameless in His sight (Eph 1)!  His only expectation of us is for us to seek Him, and if we remain in Him we can do great and lofty things--all things as a matter of fact--through Him who gives us strength (Jn 15, Php 4:13).

The enemy would love nothing more than for me to live in a world of comparisons, weighing others' comments against my own to see if I measure up as a Christian, wife, mom, daughter, sister, and friend.  But the pride and comparisons breed horrid insecurity.  And the truth is I don't have to measure up to others; I only have to please the King of the universe.  Yikes!  But blessed day!  He says of me, "How beautiful you are my darling!  Oh, how beautiful" (SS 1:15).  He reassures me that I am more than an overcomer (Rom 8:37).


So, "Do not gloat over me, my enemy!  Though I have fallen, I will rise.  Then you will see it and will be covered with shame.  I will see your downfall!  You will be trampled underfoot!"  (Micah 7, paraphrased)

As I speak the truth, my enemy will be covered with shame.  And as I speak the truth, the truth will set me free!  So, hang on sister, because you are about to read the truth--the good, the bad, and the really ugly--of this hopeful transparent, real mom.

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)