My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Eternity in Our Hearts

"He has also set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecc. 3:11).

When I'm rising out of my bed, saying, "This is the day that the Lord has made...Um, Lord, help me rejoice and be glad in it."  (I'm not really a morning person.  Understatement.)

When I'm staring in the refrigerator, wondering, "What in the world can I fix for breakfast that is quick, easy, and healthy?"

When I'm pulling clean clothes out of the dryer, putting wet clothes in the dryer, tossing dirty clothes in the washer, then folding wrinkled clothes that have sat in a basket all weekend...

When I'm staring in the refrigerator, wondering, "What in the world can I fix for lunch that is quick, easy, and healthy?"

When I'm unloading the dishwasher, putting clean dishes in the cabinets, putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher, then hand-washing pots and pants...

When I'm staring in the refrigerator, wondering, "What in the world can I fix for supper that is quick, easy, and healthy?"

When I'm putting dirty girls in the tub, pulling clean girls out, blow-drying wiggling girls, struggling to dress giggling girls, putting lotion on (goose) bumpy skin, brushing chattering teeth, and kissing sleepy girls...

When I'm falling onto the couch, opening a book, then realizing I'm too tired to read...

When I'm finally crawling into bed, knowing I will have to do it all again tomorrow, and thinking...

"There's got to be more than this."

May I remember THERE IS MORE.  It's eternity...

When I am no longer torn between the cares of this world and the Beauty of my Savior...

When I'm in the presence of the One that--every time I see Him--makes my heart skip a beat...

When I no longer just feel it in my spirit, but I audibly hear the Voice that sounds like rushing waters saying to me, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me."  (Sigh of longing.)

This life is good.  This life is beautiful.  It can be fun, exciting, surprising, sweet, and, when lived with Christ at the center, even the most mundane and menial aspects of this life can be meaningful.

But, let's be honest, this life leaves us a little unsatisfied.  Have you ever wondered why?  Because this world is not our home.  We are away, on a mission for our King, serving as ambassadors in a foreign country, and we are longing for our native land.

Ever been to foreign land?  The people know you are a foreigner, and you aren't always well-received.  They speak a different language, and you long to understand and be understood.  The food is different, and even if it's really good, you long for the tastes of your native land.  You miss your friends and family; you may get to hear their voices by phone, but you long to see them face to face.  You may physically be half-way around the globe, but your heart is always at home.

As Christians, we have two feet on earth while our hearts are firmly planted in heaven.  We are longing for home.  We are longing for more.  We may hear our Savior's voice, but we long to see Him face to face.  "Eternity in our hearts."

So, today, instead of despairing, "There must be more," may I rejoice, "Hallelujah!  There is more!  So much more than I can imagine!  And, praise You, Jesus, I will experience it, soon and very soon!"  May the "more" I'm longing for inspire me to live on purpose, remind me that I am an ambassador to people who are longing for more, and motivate me to share the Love of the One that offers more.  May my desire for more lead me daily to His feet, knowing one day I'll see more--the fullness of His glory, face to face!

Thanks to Beth Moore for being "real" and allowing God to speak through her.  It is her study on Revelation that helped me understand my longing for more.







2 comments:

  1. this post immediately made me think of my favorite brooke frasier song "C.S. Lewis Song". the first words are "If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy,
    I can only conclude that I was not made for here".
    as i clean 32 teeth seven times over today, i'll think of this post. :)
    and lookey at your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)