My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

To Guilt-Ridden Moms Everywhere

I have felt your guilt...

...when our day was so busy that my girls didn't get naps...

...when a crazy, napless day made them over-tired; then they couldn't go to sleep that night; then their lack of sleep made them cranky, and I didn't deal with them patiently...

...when my own lack of sleep made me tired and I let them watch too much TV while I drank four cups of coffee.  very.  slowly....

...when I opted to stay inside to clean instead of taking them outside in the beautiful weather...

...when we played outside all day and I didn't do any laundry, cleaning, or cooking...

...when both kids were begging for my attention, and I couldn't figure out how to do what they both wanted...

...when our baby fell out of our bed--again (why didn't I learn the first time?)...

...when I over-indulged my girls on their birthdays or Christmas...

...when I worried that I didn't do enough for their birthdays or Christmas...

...when I was too harsh in my punishment...

...when I should have enforced more consequences...

...when I didn't read to them...

...when I didn't get down on the floor to play with them...

...when I didn't offer more occasions for socialization...

...when I missed the sign-ups for preschool and my big girl didn't get to go in the fall...

...when I sent my big girl to preschool (after Christmas) and people said she was too young...

...when I laid my baby down and let her cry so I could help my big girl...

...when I didn't lay my baby down and my big girl looked at me with hurt in her eyes...

...when people said I was starving my baby, that breast milk wasn't enough...

...when I quit nursing my babies (at fourteen months) because I was tired, but wondered if I should have plugged on a bit longer as a nutrition martyr...

...when I over-spent my budget on organic, whole foods...

...when I stayed within my budget and fed my kids processed foods...

...when I was pregnant and sick and laid on the couch for three months while my two-year-old brought me crackers each morning...

...while I was pregnant and sick and my two-year-old ate crackers for breakfast...for three months...

...when I decided I was a horrible pregnant person and had my tubes tied and wondered what possible blessings I might be refusing...

...when I took a nap instead of catching up on housework or having some much-needed quiet time...

...when I didn't get the amount of quiet time I wanted...

...when I didn't have any particular reason to feel guilty but the enemy convinced me I was an over-all rotten mother, wife, friend, daughter, and person.

You may ask how I am still moving forward after all this guilt.  At each turn, I've had to remind myself to do my best and let God take care of the rest.  When I was pregnant with my first baby, I shared my insecurities and fears with a sweet lady (and mother of three grown children) who reminded me of this:  love covers a multitude of mistakes.  Scriptures say, "Love covers a multitude of sins" (I Peter 4:8) but isn't it all pretty much the same?  If there is love, we overlook each other's sins and mistakes. If my girls know I love them, won't they be able to forgive me?  But, even beyond that, God is Love.  So, if I ask God (Love) to help me, He will cover my sins and mistakes.  He will work all things for good in my life and in my girls' lives, if we love and trust Him.  So, here's to moving forward!  In Love.


1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)