My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

To Each His Own Patmos

In preparation for leading a study on Revelation (yes, I am crazy), I have been reading Ann Graham Lotz's book, The Vision of His Glory: Finding Hope Through the Revelation of Jesus Christ.  In chapter two, she discusses John's patience during suffering and solitude, then goes on to explain the various forms of suffering he might have endured while living in solitude, exiled on the island of Patmos.  Then she asks...

"What is your Patmos?  Is it a hospital bed?  Is it a workplace where you are the only Christian?  Is it a small house with small children?  Is it a rest home for the elderly?  Is it a new city or new job?  Being fired from your job or going through a divorce or death of a spouse can put you on Patmos.  In what way have you been cut off, exiled, and placed in solitude?

"...Perhaps it is because God wants to reveal Himself to you in a new, fresh way."

Which reminds me of something Beth Moore said in her Revelation study; she likened a desert to a sanctuary.  At what times can we feel God's Presence more than when we are in the desert?  And as one of the ladies in my class pointed out, deserts offer no water; so, we have to run to Jesus, the Living Water, if we aren't going to thirst to death.

Are we allowing our Patmos to lead us to Jesus?

I have certainly felt like I'm living on Patmos sometimes.  So thankful that God puts me there on occasion to remind me that He fulfills my every need.

"Jehovah, Jireh, my provider,
His grace is sufficient for me!"

Hear the song.

"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus."  (Phlp 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)