My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Self-confidence or God-confidence?

After posting the pictures of my princesses' hands, I thought I should offer a short explanation.

I used to have some major reservations about calling little girls princesses, fearing it would only encourage egocentricity.  Although I want my girls to be confident, I certainly don't want them to be self-confident. Even though self-confidence is considered a positive attribute in today's society, I think it's a dangerous concept and yet another one of the enemy's subtle paths to his most visited trap: pride.

I want my beauties to grow up with the confidence that they are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139:14), knowing they can do ALL THINGS...not by their own power, but...THROUGH CHRIST JESUS Who gives them strength (Php 4:13).  I want them to know they have an Almighty Father that is King of all kings and Lord of all lords.  I want them to know that the Creator of the Universe chose to create them for the sole purpose of lavishing His love on them.  I want them to think of themselves not as athletic, academic, skinny, heavy, or even as my daughter or each other's sister, but as children of the Most High, daughters of the King, co-heirs with Christ...princesses!  Princesses who have been blessed with every spiritual blessing if they choose to claim them by faith in Jesus Christ.  Princesses who are loved by One Who will ride in on His white horse one day, take revenge on their worst enemy, and wear the victor's crown!  Princesses loved by One that whispers sweet nothings, like, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me" (SS 2:10).  I mean, what women can't feel adored when a man speaks to her like that?  And who of us can feel insecure when we really truly accept that God loves us in this way?

And that, my friends, is God-confidence, the kind of confidence that I long for my girls to have.

And since I've promised to be transparent, I must make my second admission.  I know all of this and STILL have moments, even whole days, of doubt and insecurity.  But I'm memorizing these Scriptures and saying them and praying them and letting them seep into my soul.  And, as the rains come down from heaven and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so shall these Words that come from God accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent them (Isaiah 55, paraphrased).


My eldest drawing a princess crown

P.S.  The foods we've consumed today have certainly improved from yesterday's.  However, I have five or six loads of laundry waiting to be folded, one in the washer, one in the dryer, and one more to be washed!  And a pile of mail and papers to be sorted.  And I need a nap.  But my girls are up from their nap now and are requesting a playmate; so, I'm pretty sure most of the laundry and papers will still be there tomorrow.  Life is good, going to live it...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)