My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Shutters!

Hmmm... once again, I wrote this post a few days ago and for some silly reason it never got posted.  So, while I'm at it, I might as well give you some updates, which will be in italics.

Some of you have probably already picked up on the fact that the two sides of my brain are constantly waging war with each other to see who will triumph as dominant.  Left Side brings out the big guns with a touch of OCD; Right Side is more subtle in its militant tactics, but always fighting and managing to keep the battle scores evenly matched nonetheless.  Today, Right Side won a battle with a fun decorative touch.  And my man is not happy about it.

I'm on a bit of a shutter kick right now.  I bought some old (and cheap) shutters, spray painted them black and hung them in my kitchen.  Yes, friends, inside my house.  And I ADORE them!  I can not say that loud enough!  I absolutely love the way they look!  The juxtaposition of the black shutters and white trim looks so modern and sleek and conspicuous, but somehow still quaint and unusual and fun!  I can't say enough about all the happy vibes that ran through my body when I first hung them up then stepped back to look at them.


Then my man came home.  In the craziness of my laundry room painting project that had taken over the kitchen, I wasn't even thinking about the shutters...until he said, "Interesting," sounding very uninterested.  Which led to a lengthy conversation about said shutters and ended with, "I'm sure they'll grow on me."

Update:  They've grown on him.  Just tonight he told me that he's already grown to like them, and added, "...as much as it pains me to admit it."


Oh, see those green shoots on my table in the above (fuzzy) pic?  Those, my friend, are tulips!  Growing right in water.  Nothing else, just water.  Crazy, huh?  Some friends from Canada are passing through on their way home from Texas and brought these to us.  I was very curious to see how they would do, and didn't give them much hope, but, alas!  In just five short days, we've watched them change from green shoots to this...


...to now this!



Okay, rabbit be gone!

My next right-brained project will involve yet more shutters.  Little plantation shutters which were given to me and which I will spray paint white and hang in my other kitchen window above the sink.  And I will tie little tiny pots to the shutters with twine and try to grow something.  Perhaps herbs.


Yet another update:  I've already started this project...






Thanks to my dear sister and good friend for throwing me some super-fun shutter ideas!

Speaking of shutters, I also hung shutters in some normal places this week--on the outside of my house.  It's a slow process, but our vision of a quaint little cottage-like home is going to become a reality someday.  Just imagine the bricks green and the blocks black...



I also finished painting my kitchen/laundry area, which was complete CRAZINESS.  And we hung a screen door on the back deck--a little thing I've been wanting to do since moving into this house.  I can't wait for the first nice day to swing my back door open and let the fresh air in!  Here I am hauling it in my little Jeep Liberty.  Where there's a will, there IS a way!



Here it is before it was actually hung; I just couldn't wait to see what it would look like.  What it looks like is...it looks like I need to paint some trim!



And, lest you think it's been all work and no play--which makes Jack a dull boy and me a dull momma--be assured we made time for fun.  Fun at the park even!  Who cares if it was only 40 degrees outside?  We didn't.  Obviously everyone else did though, because we practically had the whole park to ourselves.



It's been a great day.  A great week.  Home improvement projects, a MOPS meeting, dinner with friends we only see once a year, playing puzzles and dolls with my little doll, early morning time in Numbers and Ephesians, and all things good.

Oh!!!!  And "all good things" must include the new cappuccino maker I bought myself yesterday.  I have had cappuccino two days in a row.  Good, indeed!

Goodnight all.

(P.S.  I took a little on-line test to see which side of my brain was dominant.  Well, both sides scored exactly the same!  So, the war wages on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)