My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Still Stuck on the Blood

Do you ever get stuck on a thought?  Something that strikes you as so peculiar or bizarre or amazing or impossible or otherwise intriguing that you simply can not stop thinking about it?

I am stuck on the sprinkling of blood upon the priests.  I wrote about this before in this post, and it occurred to me this morning that perhaps I didn't do enough studying before I wrote my thoughts down.  Since the last thing I want to do I speak anything that doesn't line up with Truth, I did some more digging this morning.  I was very relieve to find some reliable commentaries that echoed my own thoughts on Exodus 29.  Particularly the part about the blood staining the priests' clothing.  I thought perhaps I was wrong in this, and they did wash their holy garments out, and they didn't stain those beautiful golden threads with blood and oil.  It just seemed so absurd to go to such great lengths to make beautiful garments, woven with literal golden threads and adorned with jewels, and then stain them with a sprinkling of blood and a presumably generous amount of oil.  Although Scripture seemed to be saying this is what was done, I didn't trust my own assertions about it.   But then I found this:

"We reckon that the blood and oil sprinkled upon garments spot and stain them; yet the holy oil, and the blood of the sacrifice, sprinkled upon their garments, must be looked upon as the greatest adorning imaginable to them, for they signified the blood of Christ, and the graces of the Spirit, which constitute and complete the beauty of holiness, and recommend us to God; we read of robes made white with the blood of the Lamb."  --Matthew Henry, Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete)

This passage further proves to me how very different God's thoughts are from my own.  My thoughts that sticky blood is disgusting and its stain undesirable is a far cry from God's use of blood to cleanse and make holy.  

His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

-------------------------------------------

And, just for the fun of learning, here are a few more notes I found on Exodus 29 that I thought you just might find interesting...

"The blood was put upon the extreme parts of the body, to signify, that it was all as it were enclosed and taken in for God, the tip of the ear, and the great toe not excepted."  --John Wesley's Explanatory Notes

It is all intended for God.  What we listen to.  Every step we take.  Every move we make.  The words we type out on Facebook as an encouragement to a friend.  The baking of bread.  The washing of our babes, to the tying of their shoes.  Driving to work and even tea with a friend.  Even ordering that cup of tea at Starbucks!  It can be holy, people, it can be holy.  Show the love of Jesus to that barista!  =)  Nothing is excepted if we are covered in the blood of Christ.  Every second is intended to be holy.  Oh, that I could remember that!

----------------------------------------

"A lamb was to be offered upon the altar every morning, and a lamb every evening. This typified the continual intercession which Christ ever lives to make for his church. Though he offered himself but once for all, that one offering thus becomes a continual offering. This also teaches us to offer to God the spiritual sacrifices of prayer and praise every day, morning and evening. Our daily devotions are the most needful of our daily works, and the most pleasant of our daily comforts. Prayer-time must be kept up as duly as meal-time. Those starve their own souls, who keep not up constant attendance on the throne of grace; constancy in religion brings in the comfort of it."  --Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Not surprisingly, today's email devotional by Max Lucado's was also about "constancy."


"Will I learn what God intends?  If I listen, I will.  A little girl returned from her first day at school. Her mom asked, “Did you learn anything?” “I guess not,” the girl responded.  “I have to go back tomorrow and the next day and the next day. . .”
Such is the case with learning. And such is the case with Bible study.
Understanding comes a little at a time over a lifetime. James said:  “The man who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and makes a habit of doing so is not the man who hears and forgets.  He puts that law into practice and wins true happiness.” (James 1:25).
The Bible is not a newspaper to be skimmed but rather a mine to be quarried.  Proverbs 2:4 says to “search for it like silver, and hunt for it like hidden treasure.”
And we need to do it today, and the next day, and the next…."


"My lover spoke and said to me, 'Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me.'"  --Song of Solomon 2:10

May I be about "constancy" because He is.  Because He is constantly thinking of me, calling to me, interceding for me, saving me, redeeming me.

"Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them."  --Hebrews 7:25 (ESV, emphasis mine)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Attitude of Gratitude (because it's been way too long)

#201.  ability to remember Scripture
202.  an old ring that still fits (even if it is a different finger)  =)
203.  love from my man
204.  fresh revelation about freedom v/s keeping the law, especially my self-imposed laws
205.  crazy love from my God that keeps me moving forward, imperfect progress
206.  a wealth of teachers and theologians at my fingertips, via the interweb
207.  blinding sunlight
208.  open blinds
209.  earthworms  and lizard tails that can regenerate
210. baby girls that help me see the world anew

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)