My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Friday, November 29, 2013

On Pirates and Nuns (Retro Post, Sept 19, 2013)

Occasionally I write a post that never gets uploaded to the blog.  Why?  I don't know.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that very little of what I write actually gets posted the day I write it.  I usually save it and come back the next day and reread it.  If I still find it funny, true, and/or pertinent, I post.  If I sense that it is just a lot of words, I don't.  So, here's one that didn't make the initial cut, but is getting to debut two months later than it hoped.

---------------------------

So, today is national "Talk Like a Pirate" day.  Would I have known this if my daughter was not in Kindergarten?  No.  But, in honor of "Talk Like a Pirate" day, the local schools sent home a paper at the beginning of the week that said...

Talk Like a Pirate Day

Thurs., Sept 19th

Avast, me hearties!

On Thur., Sept 19th, everyone is welcome to dress like a Pirate.

We also encourage that everyone talk like a pirate from dawn til dusk.

For every good matey, a pirate hat will be given.

Now, my question is this:  What makes for a good matey?  Holding your desk mate hostage while forcing them to give you all their pencils, glue, and scissors?

"Congratulations!  You have behaved like a true pirate matey!  Now, for being such a good matey--if not a good friend--here's your pirate hat!"

I really have no idea what constitutes good behavior in a pirate.  I'll be interested to see if my big girl comes home with a hat.  Because I did, of course, send her to school dressed like a matey.  yip. ee.  I succumbed to peer pressure for her.  

Now, I have to wonder...why do we have national "Talk Like a Pirate" day?  And why do our public schools observe it?  Why not national "Talk Like a Saint" day?  We could all dress like Saint Peter, or the Pope, or Mother Teresa, and say kind things to our neighbors and share our glue sticks.  And being a good saint would mean that at lunch we sit by the boy with the oily hair that smells like he might not own soap, or on the playground we stop playing with our friends to join the little girl who's swinging by herself.

Just sharing the craziness that goes on inside this head.   Anyone out there relate?  Anyone?

Also, what exactly does "Avast, me hearties" mean?

---------------

And now I might add...big girl did come home that day with a pirate hat.  I did not ask how she was a good matey.  I'm not sure I want to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)