My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sweet Potato Pancakes for Supper?

Ahhhhh...YAH!!!

Follow this recipe for the most delish pancakes you've ever eaten!  [my variations in brackets]

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Recipe courtesy of Joseph's



Total Time:
1 hr 10 min
Prep
55 min
Cook
15 min
Yield:
4 to 6 servings
Level:
Easy




Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoons cinnamon [or if you're like me and accidentally triple the amount--don't ask how--it's even better]
  • Pinch nutmeg [oops, my nutmeg was expired, so it had to be omitted]
  • 2 cups milk [plus a little more, plus a little more...until they were thin enough to cook through w/out burning]
  • 4 teaspoons melted butter, plus more for greasing skillet
  • 2 whole eggs
  • sweet potato, cooked until tender, peeled and pureed
  • Pecan butter, recipe follows [this is a MUST; do not skip this part!]
  • Maple syrup, for serving [also a MUST!]

Directions

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix together and whisk until smooth. Cook batches in buttered skillet on medium high [or med lo] temperature until bubbles form on the surface, then turn over and cook until dark golden brown. Serve with pecan butter and maple syrup.  [i had two iron skillets going at once, keeping the cooked ones warm in a 170 degree oven.  oh, who am i kidding?  we were eating them too fast to worry about keeping warm]

Pecan Butter:

  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans toasted and cooled
  • 1/2 pound butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon [once again, i tripled the amount.  honest mistake that i'm glad i made]
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
Mix all ingredients together (use rubber gloves). Roll in parchment paper and freeze. Cut into slices and top sweet potato pancakes. [skipped the freezer part.  no time for that.  just spooned the soft butter mixture right on top of the pancakes]
Yield: 10 servings


Please use real maple syrup.  I mean, don't even talk to me if you pour the artificial processed corn syrup kind over these home-made babies.

Kidding.  You can talk to me.  But don't tell me.  (smiling)  Admittedly, I have some Mrs. Buttersworth in my cabinet, probably for the last time I bought processed waffles, which has been a while.  Real maple syrup just doesn't go with Eggos.  Kinda' like drinking wine with Ramen noodles, I think.

Recipe found at Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)