My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

You have cat to be kitten meow!

I had to have that saying explained to me tonight.  And it struck me so funny that I just had to use it.  It doesn't really fit my post at all, other than to say that I will try to always be real witcha so that you never have to say, "You have cat to be kitten me(ow)!"  Do you get it?  Yeah, I'm sure most of you are a little quicker on the up-take than I am.  Anywho...

Yikes!  Where did the last week go?  Before I let another week get away from me, I'll catch you up on life here.  It's not been real pretty.  But let's keep it real anyway.  I may post one day about my awesome quiet time, and come back the next day telling you about my mood swings.  That's life.  Don't ever let me tell you otherwise.  You all just keep me honest.  K?

So, I got to go on a little trip with my man this week.  He had a work conference on Tuesday and Wednesday, and my momma was kind enough to come stay with my girls so I could get away.  And I really needed a get-away, as was evidenced by my behavior on Monday.  We left Monday night; so, I had all day to get ready.  But I procrastinated.  Instead of knocking out my immediate to-do list over the weekend, I did things like plant 100 irises and work on our guest room.

But, before I go on, can I just show you the small step we made in converting our old nursery into a guest room/play room?  We moved baby girl out of the nursery and in with her sister about a year ago, and we were left with this:


Basically, it was room-turned-closet.  Who hasn't had one of these at one time or another?  But a year of that was almost more than I could take.  So, my man built some boxes for under the bed that could contain all the chaos, and now we have this:


One of these days, one of you is going to tire of my fuzzy pictures and send me a nice camera.  Or, better yet, a newer Iphone that has the awesome camera on it.  Or maybe I'll just inherit my man's phone when he does his inevitable technology upgrade, because all the men I know think they need the newest thing.  Until then, please forgive the poor quality of my old Iphone snapshots.

The room, even in its unfinished state, might look more peaceful and orderly, but creating this little bit of peace wreaked havoc in my spirit.  Because I did this over the weekend, I had so much to do on Monday for the trip that I stressed and didn't even get to enjoy the time I had to visit with my mom and sister (who also came up to help out for the day).  Perhaps some day I'll learn to prioritize (i.e., don't rearrange a room the night before you go on a trip).  And I'll get a grip on time.  My man tells me I have no concept of time, and he's right.  I'm perpetually late because I'm always thinking I have time to do more than I really have time to do!

But then there was Tuesday.  My man had meetings from 8 until 6.  I took my time getting up and going.  I had a leisurely brunch in the hotel restaurant and spent the rest of the day holed up in the room reading.  I started and finished the book my sister gave me to read.  My man and I went out for dinner.  Then went back to the hotel...for more reading.  Wednesday was pretty much the same, except he was finished by two, and I lost the room at eleven, so I read sitting in the truck in the parking lot, and I was starting to feel sickly.  (In case you're wondering why I didn't go to Starbucks and read, I planned to!  But I thought I would be within walking distance of a Starbucks.  I mean they are on every corner in most big cities.  But I found myself in a desolate part of town, and I wasn't about to drive my man's huge work truck anywhere.  No, thank you.)

So, we headed home Wednesday afternoon.  And, after stressing the importance of consistent bedtimes and nap times to my mom, and having had plenty of rest myself, you would think that I would come home rested and ready to tackle the bedtime routine that lies ahead of me.  But, no.  We approached the whole evening with a very lax attitude and time kept on ticking at its normal pace.  Before I knew it, it was bedtime and big girl was still doing homework.  My kids went to bed later the night I got home than they did either night my mom kept them.  At least that's what she tells me.  (Just kidding, mom.)

No alarm this morning.  I'm not really sure what I was thinking.  The truth is, I wasn't thinking.  My alarm is just always on, but I had turned it off when we were out of town and forgot to turn it back on.  So, my man and I woke up 30 minutes before big girl was supposed to be at preschool.  Good thing it was pajama day!  We had a quick breakfast of cereal, toast, and banana, brushed her teeth and hair, and ran out the door.

I was still sickly this morning.  So, when we got back from dropping big girl at school, I cleaned up breakfast then sat in the floor with baby girl to drink coffee and pretend to play so I could actually be lazy.  Baby girl caught on.  She said, "I want you to play with me."  I said, "I'm sitting right here," as in, "I"m sitting right beside you, hanging with you while you play."  She said, "But I want you to PLAY with me."  I finally just told her that I wasn't feeling up to playing.  She wasn't either.  She had green nose gunk and was pretty irritable.  She eventually crawled up next to me and started playing with my hair and sucking her fingers--her consolation when she's tired, bored, or doesn't feel well.  I asked if she wanted to go lay down with me and she said yes.  We were back in bed by 9:30 and stayed there until it was time to go back and get big girl.  And baby girl still took a nap after lunch.  Sickly, I tell ya.

And, if you're a critical reader, you probably noticed that there was no mention of a shower in all that madness this morning.  That would be because there was no shower for this momma today.  And I'm not "kitten" you.  Just real life here, folks.

And, that is why you all haven't heard from me in a while.  Life's been happening.  It might not always be pretty (and it might not even smell good on days like today) but it's still good.  And tomorrow's a new day.  So, here's hoping for some quiet time, a stress-free morning, clear noses, a shower, and, while I'm at it, let's throw in some productivity...

...And happy weekends for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)