My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Spinach Quiche

Who needs another yummy recipe?

Yes, please!

I found this on allrecipes.com, specifically here:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-quiche/.  But (as we all know by now) I don't follow recipes very well.  So, here is the original recipe followed by my revised version with my changes in italics.  =)

(Original) Spinach Quiche

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
  • 1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.


(Real Mom's) Spinach Quiche

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cloves garlicpressed with garlic press b/c that's so much easier than chopping
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, forget thawing and draining
  • I omitted the mushrooms, because don't we all agree that canned mushrooms are a little funky?
  • 1 (6 ounce) package feta...I used a block of plain feta, because that's what I had on hand; I think the block is more than 6 ounces.  Extra cheese never hurt anyone.
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese...Hmmm, or maybe a little more because we all know my sentiments on cheese.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crusts...I used extra eggs, which increased the recipe.  I used 2 regular pie crusts last time, but they weren't deep enough so I had to throw some egg mixture away.  Boooo.  Next time I will use 2 deep dish crusts.
  • 8 eggs, beaten for a long time with my Kitchen Aid mixer to make them extra fluffy.
  • 1 cup milk...And, just so you know, I would have added some heavy cream if I'd had any on hand, but alas, I didn't.
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion.  If you're like me and never think to thaw anything ahead of time, throw the block of frozen spinach in the pan with the onions and flip it over a million times, hacking away at the thawing edges until it is all completely thawed and separated.  And the onions are cooked.  Two tasks done.  Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about one minute.  Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk (and a little cream if you have it). Or beat in your stand-up mixer (using your whisk attachment) until it's all nice and happy in there. Season with salt and pepper. And add a little cheddar.  Why not? Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.


And in Jami Nato's famous words, "devour like a wild monkey."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)