My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Recipes & ALS

So, this is the post I wrote last week that got deleted somehow when I was trying to post it from my phone.  I was out of town all last week; so, in preparation, I had written three things to be posted while away from home, using my phone's blogger app.  Only, my phone doesn't communicate very well with my blog site.  After multiple post attempts, I not only failed to post it, but I also deleted it!  And since I'm not really up for a lot of typing tonight, you now get the abbreviated version.  See, there's a blessing in this for you!

I thought perhaps some of you might be interested in having a few new recipes.  I mean, who doesn't love a new EASY recipe?  And, with the exception of the scones, which are a bit time-consuming, all the recipes I'm sharing with you are super easy.

If you're wondering how recipes and ALS found themselves in the same post, here's the connection:

My sister-in-law is putting together a cookbook to raise money for ALS research and patient support.  I thought I would share the recipes that I am contributing to the cookbook.  Then, if you're interested, when the cookbooks are finished, I will post how you can order one.  All purchases will help fund research and help support ALS patients.

For any of you who may not know, ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.  This was something that meant very little to me about a year and a half ago, before my oldest brother began battling this horrid disease.  If you aren't aware of what it is, here's my layman's explanation:  it is a terminal illness that affects the nervous system, causing the loss of muscle control.  It first became evident in my brother's foot and leg, but each patient is different.  It eventually affects the patient's ability to talk, swallow, and breathe.  Rather than going into great detail, let me just post a link for those of you that would like to know more.  This is the national ALS association's website:

http://alsa.org/

So, here is my small contribution to raise funds for ALS.  If, after checking out the recipes below, you are interested in buying a cookbook, keep checking back for information on how you can order one!

Bruschetta

3-4 roma tomatoes, finely diced
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
3-4 garlic cloves, pressed
3-4 marinated sun-dried tomatoes, diced
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
dash of salt

Mix and serve over toasted crusty bread (Italian bread or baguette)

-------------------

Hot Ham Rolls

1 stick butter
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire
sliced Swiss cheese
1 pkg. Hawaiian sweet rolls
sliced ham

Melt butter.  Add seeds, mustard, and Worcestershire.  Slice rolls.  Lay ham and cheese over bottom layer of bread.  Spoon 1/2 butter mixture over cheese.  Add roll tops.  Spoon remaining butter mixture over roll tops.  Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

-------------------

Strawberry Chicken Salad

For dressing, mix:
1/2 c. poppy seed dressing
1/4 c. mayo

1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken, chopped
1 pint strawberries, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. sliced almonds

Mix all ingredients.  Serve with croissants.

----------------------------

Sausage Won tons

1 lb. sausage
1 small can chopped  black olives
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 c. monterey cheese, grated
Won ton wrappers

Mix sausage, olives, ranch dressing, and cheese--with hand.  Brush won ton wrapper edges with water and spoon sausage mixture onto wrappers.  Pinch edges of wrapper together and place in mini-muffin pan, edges up.  Bake at 350 until edges are golden brown and sausage is cooked through.  Remove from pan immediately and place on paper towels to cool.

-------------

Basic Cream Scones

2 1/4 AP flour
4 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. cold, unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
2/3 heavy cream
2 eggs, beaten
raw sugar, for topping
Optional mix-ins:  dried fruits and/or nuts; my favorite combos are chocolate chips and almonds or dried apricots (diced) and white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425.  Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter (or mix in a food processor, fitted with steel blade, pulsing on and off to mix).  Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.

In a separate bowl, mix heavy cream and eggs.  
Remove 1 Tbs. of mixture and reserve; pour remaining cream mixture over flour mixture.  
Stir just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated and dough is soft.  
Fold in any desired mix-ins, approximately 1/2 to 1 cup.   
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
Shape dough into ball and pat into a circle 8 inches in diameter.
Cut into 8 wedges.
Place scones 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheet.
Brush reserve cream mixture over tops of scones and sprinkle with raw sugar.
Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.

------------------

Black Bean Salsa

1 can of black beans
1 can of red beans
1 can hominy
1 can whole kernel corn
(All cans should be approx 14 ounce-size.)

4-5 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 red onion, minced
fresh cilantro, minced, measuring approximately 1/4 c.
small package of cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
2-3 limes, juiced
splash of tequila

Tortilla chips

Pour all beans, hominy, and corn into a colander, rinse well with cold water, and drain.  Place in large bowl, and add garlic, onion, cilanto and tomatoes.  Pour lime juice and tequila over all.  Mix well.  Serve with chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)